Sometimes it can be absolute nightmare trying to come up with ideas for new blog topics, particularly if you have committed yourself to blogging regularly (i.e. you’re not just blogging on a part time basis).
So what do you do when writer’s block sets in and you can’t think of a new blog topic to write about? All is not lost! Check out these killer ideas for some inspiration (in no particular order)…
20 Ideas For Blog Topics
- Comment on recent news items. I’ve covered this recently, but basically this is a great way to target news related search terms (and it also lets media organisations do the whole “think of something to write about” job for you!).
- Top 10 lists. This can be anything – your favourite cars, apps, blog posts, fuzzy blue widgets. If you think they are good and they are related to your blog’s subject area, then chances are your readers will find them useful as well.
- Optimised guides. Essentially this means using keyword research tools to find the keywords people search for in your niche. Lots of these will be generic statements or possibly questions – why not write a comprehensive guide covering this area? Over time it will rank well on search engines and bring you consistent traffic.
- Asking for feedback. Engage your readers and ask them what they think of your blog and if they have any ideas or suggestions. Can be valuable feedback for you and also helps you bond with your readers.
- Reviews. There are loads of services and products in every niche and industry – why not review some of them? Be kind – no one likes the hardass approach to reviewing!
- Interviews. Are there prominent people in your niche? Of course there are! Maybe people would be interesting in reading about what they think about current industry developments or other related topics?
- Tips & Tricks. A nice and easy blog post where you can summarise some useful points without thinking too much about how to write a comprehensive article on the subject.
- Link love. There are loads of blogs in your niche, all writing some decent content. Why not post a regular roundup of what your fellow bloggers are writing about? This can be great to promote your blog to these people and encourage other people to visit your blog regularly.
- Guest posts. You don’t need to be carrying the weight of blogging regularly on your own. There are loads of people out there who would be happy to contribute to your blog in exchange for a little bit of exposure.
- Q&A session. Open the floor to your readers and get them to fire questions at you to answer about your niche. This can be a great way to engage your readers and show off your talent!
- Elaborate on old content. Maybe you’ve written about a generic issue in your niche – perhaps it’s worth revisiting that old article and covering one of the sub-topics in more detail?
- Elaborate on someone else’s content. Perhaps another blogger has written an article that you feel you could add to? That’s a perfect post idea!
- Satire! There’s no need to be serious all of the time. Why not write a tongue-in-cheek post about something relating to your industry?
- Polls & Surveys. You have access to a nice group of people – why not ask them a few questions?
- Publish research. Now you’ve polled your readers, why not write up a post and publish the results?
- Myth busting. Most industries have areas that are complicated or misunderstood, so having a few posts that correct mistakes and myths can be very handy.
- Jump on the nearest bandwagon. Perhaps a nifty little post on why Twitter or Facebook are great for your niche?
- Blog about events. For example, conferences or demonstrations relating to your niche.
- Publish press releases. You could even charge businesses for doing so.
- Discuss your stats. Posting your traffic and earnings isn’t for everyone, but if you want to do it, there are plenty of people who would like to read it.
Does anyone have more ideas for blog topics that they’d like to suggest?
Some bonus ideas (as I think of them when writing new posts)…
- Ask a question! And then answer it…